Something quick and tasty to throw together when you really don’t feel like cooking, but you don’t exactly want to eat crappy food either. We’re not messing around with spices or taco seasoning here. These tacos are really just about the chili of the sambal oelek and the fresh sour lime juice.
See here for some more labor intensive, but pretty spectacular banh mi tacos.
Makes about 8 small corn four tortilla tacos
Prep and cook time: 20 minutes
2 cans white beans (cannelini, northern, white, etc), drained and rinsed
1/2 to 1 tsp sambal oelek (or more, depending on your spice skill)
fresh oregano and cilantro (save some for garnish)
fresh lettuce or greens of any kind (rocket, butter, boston, radicchio, kale, bok choi)
2 cloves garlic, slivered or minced
8 corn tortillas
fresh veg of your choice (avocado, radish, cucumber, tomato, corn, red onion etc)
salsa of choice
salt and pepper to taste
1) Prep all the veg. Wash and slice the vegetables thin. Either leave the leafy greens whole, or shred them as you like.
2) Heat up 2 tbs of olive oil and gently fry the garlic till soft. Add in the white beans, a bit of water, the sambal oelek, 2-3 tsp of chopped oregano and cilantro, and salt and pepper
3) On low to medium heat, cook the beans until heated through. Taste and adjust seasoning.
4) Fry the corn tortillas till hot, soft and a little golden brown.
5) To plate the tacos: Place a corn tortilla, add the lettuce, the fresh veg (such as radish, cucumber and avocado), the beans and a generous squeeze of lime. Repeat with remaining tacos.
6) Garnish with cilantro and serve with salsa on top or on the side.