This is one of those things you can make for really hungry people–even carnivores–and they’re like, uh, are you serious? Am I dreaming? Yes, most people do not get it this good. But we do over here in Chez Lushesfood.
Loaded veggie chili omelette
4 eggs, beaten and seasoned with salt and pepper
1 tbs quality butter
3/4 cup leftover veggie taco filling or chili*
handful of grated mozzarella or strong cheddar
handful of fresh parsley or cilantro
salsa and full fat greek yogurt**
* This, or enchiladas or nachos, is a very good use for leftover veggie chili or taco filling.
** Please. No 0% fat greek yogurt. That’s not greek yogurt. I don’t know what that is. If you’re worried about the fat content, just skip it altogether.
1. How I make an omelette:
– heat up the butter in a small frying pan very hot.
– pour the beaten egg mixture in.
– as it begins to set, gently lift up the sides with a soft spatula and tilt the frying pan to let the uncooked egg flow underneath the cooked layer of egg.
– do this a couple of times until the omelette is mostly cooked. It should be golden on the bottom and just a little runny up top. Don’t over cook it. Omelettes should be soft in the middle.
– finish cooking the top of the egg under the broiler.
2. Add the veggie chili (in my case, black bean chili) and the shredded cheese on top of the cooked omelette.
3. Put back under the broiler to melt the cheese.
4. Simply fold the omelette over and slide onto a plate. Top with salsa, greek yogurt and avocado if you have it.