asparagus crepes, crepes, gorgonzola, Pancake Day, Shrove Tuesday, vegetarian, vegetarian breakfast
Yes, it’s Fat Tuesday, Mardi Gras, Shrove Tuesday, known in our NJ house and many others in the UK as Pancake Day! Yippee! An actual real-live tradition in our family (we have so very few) and a little noteworthy as a recipe for simple crepes was one of my very first posts. I’ve been doing this blogging thing for a whole year now…
So the kids had crepes with syrup and powdered sugar. I know. And I don’t care.
We, on the other hand, went full on vegtacular and stuffed our crepes with asparagus, avocado, red pepper and gorgonzola. These babies are a little dry—hubby said no, they were not; they were definitely delicious—but I think there’s a case for scrambled egg or sauteed spinach added into the filling. If you want to go completely decadent, here is a recipe for kale-stuffed crepes with a rosemary cheese sauce.
Ingredients for 2 veggie-stuffed crepes
1/4 red pepper
fresh crumbled gorgonzola**
wedge of parmesan
* Here, again, is a recipe for crepes
** Gorgonzola or other crumbly cheese such as feta or goat cheese
1) Steam the asparagus just for a minute or two. It should be just barely cooked and have a nice crunch to it.
2) Slice the avocado and red pepper. The red pepper can be roasted if you like, but I wanted a fresh crunchy vegetable taste and feel to these crepes.
3) Layer everything in the crepes and top with crumbled gorgonzola.
4) Fold up tightly.
5) Dot the tops of the crepes with butter (come on!) and then sprinkle fresh grated parmesan over.
6) Heat under the broiler for a few minutes to crisp the top.